Monday 10 October 2022

Gothic Picture Wall mixed media canvas - by Lori Woods

Hello creative friends! I’m absolutely thrilled to be a part of the new Finnabair Creative Team and I can’t wait to create and inspire you!

I love looking at picture wall displays in people's houses, especially when they have a lovely arrangement of ornate frames and a bit of a gothic feel. I wanted to recreate this kind of display as a mixed-media canvas and since it’s the month of Halloween, I went for a slightly spooky look!

For the background, I really wanted to recreate a shabby, crumbling wall effect. Modelling paste was perfect to start building up an uneven surface that I could stencil on top of to look like wallpaper, and crackle and paper paste helped to really get that cracked and run-down texture. 





For the pictures themselves, the Baroque Frames and Grungy Frames moulds were the obvious choice. I used elements from various other moulds to create the subjects for the pictures. I kept the colouring of these quite muted and dark to fit in with the gothic feel, only using a little mica powder from the Golden Hour collection to highlight bits of the central frame.




I’m really happy with how the ‘wall’ texture turned out and now I have my own mini version of a picture wall! I have a video tutorial for you here if you’d like to create your own: 

Happy creating!



Products I have used - all the images linked to Mixed Media Place online store:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...