Thursday 13 December 2018

Ocean Artefacts - by Finnabair

Hi, my loves!
It's a very busy time for us all I guess - December is always both exciting and filled to the brims with to-do lists, Christmas preparations, buying gifts, cleaning and more... it is great if you are able to carve some time for creativity and include some handmade gifts, greeting cards or home decors in plans - making these is so very rewarding (and you can find so many mind-blowing inspirations online that it would be a shame not to try, right?).
I have to admit I'm not great at making greeting cards. I really suck when it comes to traditional Christmas decorations - I'm more into decorating the house than making small projects to display, although I've done some of the altered projects which are in general "winter" genre. This is not my thing - and I've accepted it, not forcing myself to do things I don't enjoy... this type of project though - is 100% my cup of tea!
I still have a hard time to tell what these really are - except they're a kind of a home decor or altered art and they are supposed to be displayed in glass domes I've bought before.
You can see its a bit weird mix of ocean and vintage-mechanical theme and I've used a lot of found supplies such as shells, moss or some mysterious ocean creatures...
This is a very basic kind of project, not advanced mixed-media - but so fun to do!
You can clearly see some of the Holiday influence here - the glitters and Art Stones are adding both beautiful texture and so much needed bling to the organic, sea-inspired composition. It's almost like having Christmas under the sea - but why not? Nothing wrong with that mix, I think!
I've made these projects using mostly found stuff - and believe me, collecting the objects for future projects is almost as fun as creating! My plan was to use some old candle holder and pieces of moss and shells - so I needed some good adhesive. As always in more difficult cases I'm using Art Basics Heavy Body Gel - after applying a generous amount and drying EVERYTHING is staying in place - it is a really great 3D collage solution.
For the smaller details and glitter touches, I've used a bit of Soft Gel, applied with a small brush. This art medium is not only a great resist, paper adhesive or transfer medium but also a perfect product to stick smaller and lighter embellishments.
The final results are sparkly yet organic looking objects which will be part of my new bedroom display. I'm still working on the details, but I know already what I'm going for: cabinet of curiosities would be the best description... I guess these two will fit just perfectly, and I can't wait to make some more!

For your reference - here are some of the products I've used - all linked to Mixed Media Place Store:


Have a wonderful time - enjoy the Christmas preparations!
Sending love

4 comments:

Debbie Martin said...

Two beautiful pieces which I'm sure will look amazing where ever they are displayed. I imagine they will remind you of dipping your toes in warm seas xx

Hina Mirza said...

Beauties!!

The Scrapbooker's Confetti Box said...

Love these Anna. They will definitely be stunning in your home.

Rebecca Ednie said...

Absolutely stunning! I adore ocean art and these are some of the best!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...