Monday 12 January 2015

New Life For A Note Box

Are you having a good Monday, everyone? :)
Let's start the week with another beautiful creation from my Team!
For all of you who like to play with embellishments, we have a truly rich and inspiring project from Linda. Just take a look...


Hi there, Linda Cain here, and it’s my turn again on the Finnabair blog!
This time I thought I’d take a plain note box and alter it in an effort to keep my scraps of notes in one place. Sounds like a plan? I hope it works in helping me keep track of artsy ideas.




So, let’s get started. It begins with a paper mache note box from a craft store that I painted with Black Gesso. I left parts of the inside unpainted so I could add decorative paper.



Next I mixed 2 colors of high pigment acrylic paint into some ModelingPaste. Using the Bubbles Stencil, I added the paste to the top of the box.


Then I started to add more color. I spritzed it with metallic Shimmer Mists and drops of color from the bottle. LOVE the shine here!

I added Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel on the Small Clock Face and heated with a heat tool. Then I added some Silks with a dry brush. I base coated the metal wings with Heavy White Gesso and added silver acrylic paint on top.
I started to adding pastes to this label pull. Then I decided a Tassel would look great hanging from the pull, so I used my jewelry 2-hole punch to make a hole for a jump ring and Tassel.
Next I added more color to the background and metal elements. Then came the scary part for me - gluing it down. I started with 3D Matte Gel with the heavy pieces.

For a bit of sparkle and shine, I added a mixture of Platinum Glass Glitter and Zinc GlassBeads in the clock section with Soft Gloss Gel.

The sides and back have Newsprint Canvas strips added with 3D Matte Gel. The metal handle shows the “before” on the bottom, and the "after" on top with 2 colors of Inka Gold added. It makes a BIG difference.
I found 2 metal labels for the sides. They were plain silver in color, so I first added 2 coats of Heavy White Gesso with a foam square. Then I added a coat of Clear Crackle Texture Paste and layers of inks. LOVE the aged metal look it creates!!! Put a phrase in the frame and add it to the sides.


The handle is added to the back spine area with 3D Matte Gel and brads. I did the same with a pair of glasses across the front. I cut apart a Medium Flower and added pieces with copper brads. You can see the Tassel here with some Inka Gold added to it.
 
The bits and pieces get added last...buttons, a propeller colored with alcohol ink, a key with a computer part twisted around it, micro beads in a gear with a light bulb phrase, a Roman Numeral, Numbers, a Vintage Center, and Charcoal Art Sugar to fill in spaces. That color is so gorgeous.
  
The Pendant under the light bulb and Leaves are colored with Inka Gold as well as several other Mechanicals. Sterling Glass Glitter is sprinkled around the tiny vintage bottle to help support it.
 

When the 3D Gel dried underneath the light bulb, it left a really cool pattern!


That’s it for me for today. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and of course feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment.

~Linda
Materials used:

32 comments:

steffi said...

Simply beautiful :o)

Unknown said...

Fantastic Linda. Love your work!!!

Evelyn said...

LOVE all the layers and cool baubles you have added - the eyeglasses are very cute

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Well, that's just luscious! I can hardly wait to try one...

Belinda Basson said...

This is so up my ally! I am mad about all the texture and the objects you have used. Thanks for sharing how you made this awesome box.

Maremi's Small Art said...

Simply amazing, looove all the embellishments and colours, fantastic ! Well done my friend, I am in loooove xx

selena said...

magnifique travail de couleurs, de décos, j adore!

Francine Perri said...

Awesome Linda as usual!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous, wonderful metallic do,ours and fantastic dimension. I love all the layers. Gorgeous Linda. Tracy x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow!!!

fourshelties said...

Gorgeous piece of art. Love the glasses on the side of the box. Love all of the colors! Great piece!

Kathi said...

Drop-dead gorgeous. True eye candy with many wonderful details.

Thanks for the step-out photos and instructions!

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Mixed Media eye candy, Linda! So awesome!

Jools Robertson said...

Amazing! such a treasure of jewel colours and embellishments

Jools x

Katia said...

amazing and wonderful job!

Lori said...

Lawd, this is gorgeous!!! All those layers are absolutely stunning!

kay(texfolkart) said...

This is absolutely awesome!

Kathy Bradley said...

What a wonderful piece of art!!

Merrylioness said...

Very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring.

Unknown said...

Wow, that box tells quite a story. It's fantastic!

Curls N Twirls said...

Its difficult not to get inspired by this project ... Cant take my eyes off :)
xoxo
Remya

Véro said...

wonderful !!!
i love this little box
thank you for sharing

suzyb said...

The use of gadgets and gizmos! great. The colour and texture paste that you used is perfect! Love this peace. If it ever needs a good home, let me know. Love it Linda!
Victoria, BC

Carol McCready said...

Wonderful note box and idea.
Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh my gracious sakes.... just tooo incredible. LOVE everything about it. SUPER FINE... all the way. So inspiring. Thanks bunches for sharing. Do another!!!! joi

Ella Swan said...

Goodness me this box is luscious!

Linda M. Cain said...

I hope to do just that. Thank you so much everyone. You make my heart sing!!!

famillemarleau said...

It looks amazing. Love it. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

Lisa H said...

I love all the fun details on this Linda. You could look at it forever discovering new bits. =)

Maura said...

This is over the top gorgeous!!!!

Revision in Progress said...

Where did the light bulb come from?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...