Monday 9 January 2023

Steampunk Puzzle box storage by Lori Woods

Hello creative friends! I hope you had an amazing festive break and are full of great ideas for the creative year ahead of us! 

As part of my new year traditions, I like to spend some time re-organising and tidying my workspace. I love to decorate the storage boxes holding my embellishments and media to make my surroundings as inspiring as possible. I had these three little boxes just waiting for a makeover and I decided Steampunk puzzle box was the way to go!


I began by stencilling onto the HDF boxes to create a little background texture and then built up the details using elements from various moulds and Finnabair mechanicals.

Everything was painted with brown impasto to create a basecoat and then I started to build up the colour using metallic waxes. I added a little Jade impasto to create a patina effect and decided I needed a bolder metallic finish so I reached for the amazing Vintage metallic flakes. 

I added a little more impasto patina over the flakes and then used the waxes again to highlight some of the details. The combination of the metallic flakes and waxes creates a great depth of colour and shine.


 I have a video tutorial for you here if you’d like to see how I created this:




Products I have used - all the images linked to Mixed Media Place online store:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...