Friday 21 July 2017

Magical Mixed Media Drawers

Hi everyone!
Let me tell you this - Karolina's latest project will simply blow you away!
I think all altered art has a sort of a magical quality to it, don't you think?
You take ordinary/boring/ugly objects and with some paint and embellishments you can easily turn these things into completely new gorgeous creatures - pure magic! :)
Leave some love for Karolina whose artwork is not only stunning but also very easy to create - and she shares how. Enjoy!

*   *   *   *
Hello lovely Finnabair friends!
I'm finally on my holidays and have some free time on my hands. But instead of lying on a beach, I got down to organizing my house, especially my own favorite place, the heart of the house - my studio.

I had this really ordinary plastic piece of office furniture - perfect for storage but you have to admit, plain and boring. So I decided to give it a new life and turn this ugly duckling into a mixed media beauty. ;)
I'll bet you're curious what it looked like 'before'. :) There you go:
Not very excting, is it? :) The magic trick in this case were mainly the Patina Pastes. They are so very easy to work with and you can create truly spectacular effects with them.
Here's how I did it:

No. 1
First, I gave my drawers a layer of another favorite supply of mine - Clear Gesso. It creates a clear workable surface for all kinds of products and provides a “tooth” to slick, glossy surfaces.

No. 2
When everything was dry, I glued a lot of different kinds of chipboards and Art Stones in between, all using 3D Gloss Gel as my adhesive.
No. 3  
Once everything was totally dry, I added the Blue and Mint-Green Patina Pastes and I mixed these two pastes on the background. You can decide which tone will play the main role in your project, I went for more of the Mint Green.

No. 4
The colors of the Pastes seemed a little too vibrant for me here, so I decided to add a little bit of Snow White Impasto Paint to make the tones more delicate.
A little bit of paint mixed with water is enough to make the whole piece look more harmonious.
Art Alchemy Impasto Paints are very efficient and creamy. Because the colors are so pigmented and opaque you can safely add water and paint will not lose on its quality.
No.5
For more depth, I added some Brown Rust Paste from the same set. I love this paste because it's very efficient and it gives really amazing effects when you highlight chosen details with it.

No 6
All the pretty metal Mechanicals embellishments were glued with 3D Gloss Gel and also accented with the Brown Rust Paste.
Here are some details of the final effect:



I must admit I'm really happy about the transformation of this ugly duckling into a unique decoration of my studio.

I think such drawers are a perfect solution for small studios and spaces and it's really worth making them look unique.

It's so important to add your own style to your environment and make it inspire you to feel comfortable and creative.

Be brave, you don't need too many supplies to create some magical altered art around you.
xx




Products used:

12 comments:

Ariana said...

Wow! Those are totally awesome! I have some of those plastic things. I think a new project is needed for me.!

Carol w said...

Beautiful...love the wonderful color and the embellishments!

Angela said...

Beautiful Karolina. Will have to give this ago. Thanks for sharing. x

Unknown said...

This is stunning! From something so plain to something gorgeous.

Lilly said...

Very nice❤️

Unknown said...

These look amazing love them. :)

Annie said...

WOW! What an amazing transformation! I loved seeing the process you went through.

Unknown said...

This is just fantastic! Great job!

mommyx2 said...

Wow - this is AMAZING - I have a plastic storage piece that really looks awful in my new art room - I CANNOT wait to "transform" -Thank you for so much brilliance!!

Karolina Bukowska said...

Thank you so much !!!! I m waiting for your project!!! Please share it with us!!

Karolina Bukowska said...

Thank you for the many answers. I am very nice and thank you very much.
I am waiting for your projects

Marci said...

Beautiful! Great idea! Those plastic things are so ugly, and this gives me inspiration to change them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...