Monday 10 April 2023

Temple to Bastet by Lori

Hello creative friends! I won a rather ugly cat statue as a joke prize in a quiz and I decided it needed a makeover. And what could be more fitting for a cat than to create a temple for it! I took my inspiration from Bastet, the Egyptian cat-headed goddess, and built a little feline shrine.

I started with a shadow box and using a thick piece of card, I measured and cut out sections to imitate the sun's rays. I added stencilling onto these sections to give them some texture and then glued them to the box. I used moulds, mechanicals and various elements that I had to build up some areas of interest and then painted everything in a mix of various gold paints with Jade impasto to create a patina effect. 


For the cat statue itself, I of course used the gorgeous metallic flakes in Gold to give it a real Egyptian treasure look. I then added some Sage matte wax and Burnt Sienna acrylic paints to give it a weathered old effect. For the shadow box I used Ochre and Stained Wood waxes to give everything a more antique look, as if this temple and its cat occupant have waited for centuries to be discovered again!




I have a video for you here where you can see some of the different techniques I’ve used on this project: 



Products I have used - all the images linked to Mixed Media Place online store:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...