Friday 29 June 2018

Art Journal Freedom

Hello again!
I believe that art journals are a very special art form - this is where you can express yourselves without any limitations whatsoever, it's you who sets your own rules on your journal pages!
Today we meet with Tanyalee whose gorgeous new art journal spread is a perfect expression of this wonderful freedom. I'm sure you'll feel instantly inspired!

*   *   *   *

Hi everyone, Tanyalee here with an art journal spread tutorial.

My artworks are quite different to many you see using Finnabair products as I am predominantly an art journaler, and today’s tutorial is very true to my style.
I have created a floral spread using Impasto paints, image transfers and sketches.
First of all, I prepared my junk journal pages with Heavy Gesso as the paper is recycled cotton and soaks up way too much paint.

Next I chose a vintage botanical image and used it as an image transfer with Soft Matte Gel. The transfer worked beautifully, but as you will see, it didn’t end up suiting the spread so gets mostly covered with paint. It’s a wonderful technique to use in art journaling.

Once the transfer was completed and dry, I watered down some Art Alchemy Impasto paints to create a soft background. I also added some texture using Paper Paste and Finnabair's stamps.

My sketching skills aren’t the greatest, so I traced a picture of a model onto deli paper and glued that onto the background. The deli paper becomes transparent when glued using gel medium and it looks like I drew it directly onto the page.

Then I went to town with Impasto paints to create the floral crown on my girls head and face. I used layers of pink and white to create the petal appearance, and then highlighted with green and black for details.
Once the floral layer was completely dry, I went back in with a fountain pen and nib pen to add more details.
I also used a sentiment stamp and butterfly for some extra interest and finished everything off with some drawing ink splatters.
Please, enjoy my video tutorial!





I really like the soft finish to this spread, and hopefully my sketching skills will improve if I continue to use the tracing technique to draw faces. Only time will tell I guess.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, and I look forward to sharing another project with you again next month.

Yours in messiness



Products used:

1 comment:

na.olsen said...

This video is amazing ! So full of step by step ideas that I can't wait to try myself . Very inspiring for me. Thank you so much , you opened some doors for me to try !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...