Wednesday 16 October 2013

Shortie: Halloween Headband - Steampunk Style - tutorial :)

Hi again friends!
Halloween is coming and some of you are probably already thinking about suitable costumes and decorations. I have to admit, I'm not very familiar with this celebration - mostly because of my nationality and different traditions celebrated in our country - but I'm very curious what will be going on here, in Ireland. I don't have any specific expectations - just wondering... Maybe you will tell me how should I prepare for this day? Pretty please? :)

Anyway, today I've got new "Shortie" for you - and I thought it might be inspirational for those of you who are more into "steampunk" and similar styles, it is fast, it is easy to assemble and easy to rip-off and restyle - which makes it a perfect last-minute project or seasonal hairpiece you can alter to suit your needs.  I've made a similar one for me to wear during CHA in Anaheim, January 2013 and enjoyed it so much I decided to recreate the project for you:)
Here it goes! It's me, trying to pose professionally, LOL!



Supplies:
Prima Marketing: Mechanicals (trinkets, caps, 3D roses, washers), Sunrise-Sunset Collection - Zipper Flower, fabric flower, paper leaves, velvet headband. Others: sprays, hot glue gun or any other suitable glue, piece of veil, found objects (light bulb, old buttons, pen nibs, bottle cap and a piece of lace). 


Here  you can see it done, step-by-step:


First  - gather the elements you want to add, including embellishments and found objects - and don't worry if you don't have the right color of veil... I didn't get any black so I recycled a piece of my old wedding dress painting it with black permanent spray (I'd suggest doing this step outdoors). I knew I kept it for some good reasons!


Time for cutting, ripping, repainting and gluing together the elements we want to attach to our headband. This time standard water-based sprays should be enough.


When you've got your embellishments layered, glued or fastened with brads it is time to embellish the headband. Start with gluing the veil, then add the biggest elements in desired places. Move to smaller ones and finally to the smallest! Watch your fingers - the glue is really hot!


Attach all the elements (paint, maybe?) and make sure you get a nice, dimensional effect. It helps if you add your elements really close to each other! Restyle the veil, cut it if needed and wear your cool hairpiece with pride! :)

I hope you like my idea:)
I'm going to keep my headband for sure and wear it from time to time, not only for Halloween... and if I decide it is time - I can always restyle it or rip into pieces and use my embellishments again on other project, right? And that's why I love creating so much!!!
Sending warm hugs!

22 comments:

Danielle Champagne said...

So cute! I love the little light bulb!!! love the idea of creating flowers with zipper. thanks for the idea.

Unknown said...

That is gorgeous Anna!! so cool!

Scrap Recup said...

Yeeees : LOVE LOVE IT !

cve said...

You are so beautiful in it)

Nadya Tana Lifa said...

It`s pretty & crazy!!!

suzieq23 said...

you look so cute in your headband!
now you have to take your pix with the headband and do your thing on canvas!

Maura said...

How cool is this?!

Vicky said...

HOW CUTE!!!

Krisha said...

So clever and just as cute as can be.

Dakota Bear said...

Love it!

Irina Gerschuk said...

Wow!!! So cool!!!!

Pat Beaumont said...

Absolutely fabulous - and suits your personality Anna - would love to have this creation to wear
great inspiration!

Brigitta said...

Hmmm this my be an idea for my wedding next year....

Ptitesmimines said...

you are a real genius ! I absolutely love it ! thank you so much to share this creation with us <3

Redanne said...

Wow, what a fabulous headpiece! Such a great idea to use it on Halloween too. For Halloween all you need to do is carve a scary face in a pumpkin, put a candle in it, put this in your window, buy lots of sweets/candy and wait for all the children to knock on your door.... it is so lovely to see the children all dressed in costumes....

Patti G. said...

Saw you on Pinterest......this is super creative and fab! :)
Hugs,Patti

Carole said...

Anna, your headband is awesome and you look adorable wearing it!

Mona_63 said...

Ooooo, Aniu, ależ z Ciebie dama "halołinowa" - pierwsza klasa :D
Ja bym sobie zrobiła podobny ale z trybików... może łatwiej zatrybiłabym ten krejzi angielski??? ;))))
Siedzę sobie w Southport zamiast w Łodzi i nie bardzo mogę się przyzwyczaić do maszkar i nieboszczyków na ulicy oraz w witrynach sklepowych... ;)

Andrea said...

Hi Anna!
Great photos and great tutorial! Thanks! Look at our challenge - it`s halloween :)We would be happy if you have placed a link to do with these images and to us.
http://sp-c.blogspot.de/2013/10/challenge-30-halloween.html
Big hug
Andrea-Emmi41

Steffie said...

Hey Anna,
this is so cool! And it´s perfekt for our Halloween-Challenge: http://sp-c.blogspot.de/2013/10/challenge-30-halloween.html
Maybe you want to join us? ;-)
Greetings from Germany!
Steffie

frezja said...

genialne!!! ja mysle ze powinnas wypuscic wlasna linie mody to jest akcesoriow ^^ :D

La Vikinga said...

Cool headband!

Thanks for an interesting and useful class today in Stockholm!! I'm showing my grunge industrial baroque style (so NOT my style up 'til now but could soon be) tomorrow...

Greetings,
Charlotta / La Vikinga

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...