Friday 12 December 2014

Steampunk Warrior

Hello, Friends!
It's Friday so it means it's time for another reveal of my wonderful Team's creativity.
Have you noticed today's title? These two little words put together made my heart flutter but wait until you see Linda's awesome project!


Hi everyone, Linda Cain here again today with a tutorial that I hope will inspire you to get out your pieces of lace and trims, paints and sprays, and just have fun.





1. This starts with a plain papier-mâché dress form that I painted with Heavy Black Gesso.

2. Next I added several colors of Silks acrylic paints.


3. The large Steampunk Wings were covered with Platinum Crackle TexturePaste using a sponge square.
 


4. I glued strips of trim in a criss-cross design onto the mannequin, and then sprayed with different colors of ArtDeco Acrylic Shimmers.

5. I added large black Ric-Rac and other trims and lace to the bodice. Then, more paint and Treasure Gold pastes were layered on.


6. This is a close-up shot of the lace that's been painted with WhiteGesso as the last layer, and dazzled with Glass Beads and GlassGlitter using Matte Gel.

 

7. Now I start to lay out the pieces of metal for the next layer. I painted the Leaves with Silver Mixative Alcohol Ink to brighten it up.



8. This Large Flower Mechanical has the center removed so I could use it as the collar.



9. The Label Plate is sanded and polished with a light sanding block to make the high points shine. Then I painted the accents in with VintajPatina Paints. The Prima Paper Flowers have a dusting of AntiqueSilver Art Sugar, and the Medium Flowers are glazed with Copper Inka Gold.

I added the Glass Beads with Gloss Gel to the openings in the Leaves and the trim. Copper Inka Gold is rubbed over these as well.



10. TheVintage Center is glued over two brass arrows with more Copper Inka Gold.



11. I used a Tassel on the collar and added some large turquoise pearls. The various gears and Mechanicals are glued to the wings with 3DMatte Gel. Each wingtip has a black rhinestone.

The wings are colored with Distress Inks and a final topcoat of Copper Inka Gold Paste.
I love how the Purples, Turquoises, Copper and Golds all make this Steampunk Warrior come to life.


Materials used:

12 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Stunning!

mberry117 said...

Gorgeous!!!

Meme said...

Flipping amazing Linda Cain!

Well done!!!!

Helen said...

She's fabulous Linda!!

Dalena said...

Where did the wings come from? I love this project.

Gretz said...

STUNNING Linda!

Kathi said...

This is absolutely stunning!

Wow.

Pinning!

Unknown said...

This is absolutely stunning!

Linda M. Cain said...

Retro Cafe Art Gallery

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much, Donna.

Unknown said...

Love this, also really would love to know where the wings are from? Chipboard or a die?

Carol McCready said...

Amazing project. I love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...