Monday 22 December 2014

Wear Steampunk!

Hello Friends!
Time to start a new week with a new totally extraordinary project by my Creative Team!
Do you remember that once I created a steampunk headband? Rebecca decided to create a hair piece in her own signature style showing completely new possibilities of some of the products.
Get ready to be amazed!


Hi Everyone,

Rebecca here today to share with you a steampunk style hair piece.
Now you may look at this and think, hmmm that is a bit much to wear every day. Yes, possibly it is, you would be right.
However, who doesn't want to get a little fancy occasionally? We all do, right? I have always wanted to attempt a hair piece and I am pretty happy with how this has turned out. Can you imagine this with an all black outfit, oh yes I can!. 


Let's talk about how this was all constructed.
I began by adhering a piece of 'White Hot' paper from the Sunrise-Senset Collection to a piece of metal backed card. With the metal side up I used foam pad to apply alcohol inks in colours Caramel and Latte. Once dry, I added a sprtiz of isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) which gave my metal card a beautiful mottled effect. 


I then ran the card stock through my Cuttlebug with the Tattered Florals Die. Finished by inking all the flowers with Walnut Distress Ink and stamping in black ink with the Vintage Vanity Circles stamp.


Using the holes in an alligator hair clip, I added jump rings and chain, finishing with adhering ribbon around the entire clip.

Taking one small and one large bottle cap I used 3D Matte Gel to adhere a combination of Copper Glass Glitter, Licorice Glass Beads and small watch parts. Finishing by adding a small Mechanicals metal tassel. 
The flower is all held together using 3D Matte Gel, please allow adequate time to dry.




Using a small paint brush I applied Aged Bronze Patina to my cogs and to the metal element from the Mechanical Small Leaves 2 collection. A small amount of Viva Inka Gold was then added to give the pieces some further shine. 


I took the small clock from the Mechanicals Clock packet and brushed on a small amount Aged Bronze Patina. After this was dry I added random thick spots of Art Extravagance Texture Paste Copper Crackle. 


The clock face was then filled with small clock parts and Glossy Accents was added to give the face a semi glass look finish.


I had these chipboard leaves in my stash, I gave them a good inking with Walnut Distress Ink, then I applied Art Extravagance Texture Paste Copper Crackle with a small paint brush dabbing it on quite thickly. Once the crackle paste had dried to create a beautiful crackle I then applied more Walnut Distress Ink pushing it into all the cracks. 



As I will be wearing this hair piece, I wanted it all to hold together forever and be able to handle being taken in and out of my hair. To hold all my base elements together, I used a very strong bond super glue. Beginning with layering feathers then chipboard then my metal leaf with clock. Once these had dried and were securely held in place I used 3D Matte Gel to adhere my flower on top. 

I could not make something like this without actually showing you what it would look like in my hair, here is my selfie for you. I wish this photo was of much better quality, apologies my phone is due a serious upgrade. 


I hope I have inspired you all to create something different and out of the ordinary.

I wish you all a very happy and creative day.

~ Rebecca ~

Materials used:


8 comments:

massofhair said...

WOW! :-) x

Unknown said...

Waaaay trendy idea, loving ur creativity & it looks nice in ur hair!

Carol McCready said...

What a fun project. Thank you for the inspiration. Would love to make a project something like that for my daughter-in-law.

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful maybe I will have a go at making one. I wasn't sure what to wear in my hair for my daughters wedding as I don't suit hats. Thank you

jasann said...

WOW!!!! How fabulous, would love to make something like this to wear, thanks s much for sharing!!!

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Gorgeous!!!

Jean Bullock said...

How cool. I am going to share this.

Gigi said...

That is very lovely! It's a great addition to a night out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...