Hello! I’m Priss.
Today I’m sharing an aged industrial-style sign filled with mechanical layers, copper, patina, and grungy details.
The image from the Decoupage Fiber Paper reminded me of an old chemical factory sign. I decided to reinterpret that industrial story through creative alchemy: somewhere between the rust, the layers, and the transformation, she found herself.
I covered the cork area with Decoupage Fiber Paper, then mounted the smaller Missouri Chemical Works sign onto cardboard painted with white gesso to keep the image clean and bright. Although the Soft Matte Gel already protected the paper, I added Clear Gesso to create a more porous surface for the following layers.
I also built a slightly raised frame around the small sign using strips of cardboard covered with Black Gesso and painted with metallic wax. This simple detail added depth and made the sign feel more realistic.
I also layered different mechanical elements beneath the sign to support the focal point and add dimension. Because they had mixed gold, silver, and copper finishes, I first unified them with White Gesso. My original plan was a soft, powdery finish in muted brown tones, but the project soon moved in another direction.
I began with a copper base and layered Blue and Green Patina Effect Pastes over it. At first, I covered too much of the copper, causing the mechanical elements to disappear into the dark background. The solution was to bring back more copper and apply the patina only in selected areas. This created stronger contrast and a more convincing aged-metal effect.
The finish finally came together with Umber, Deep Turquoise, and Carmine Liquid Acrylics. Their translucent color added depth, grime, and variation while allowing the copper and textured patina to remain visible underneath.
I finished the piece with Rich Copper Metallique Wax, tiny brads that mimic old nails, cabochons, and layers of colored splatters. A few tiny white splatters added just enough light, while the bright ephemera beneath the cabochons helped balance the luminous focal image.
This project did not come from following the original plan perfectly. It came from noticing what was not working, adjusting the contrast, and allowing each layer to guide the next decision.
I hope this project inspires you to experiment with copper and patina, embrace changes along the way, and let your materials reveal an unexpected story.
Happy creating! 💙
Priss
Finnabair products used - all the images linked to the Mixed Media Place online store:
![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() | ![]() |





















No comments:
Post a Comment