Friday 24 October 2014

Scissors Stories

Hello, Friends!
You may have noticed that each time my Creative Team presents their works, I go breathless and do a happy bunny dance...
Well, I hope you do too! :)
They are SUCH a talented bunch and today Riikka blew me away (again!) not only beautifully decorating the art journal of my design but also embellishing it with a pair of scissors - and I have a very special spot for vintage scissors in my heart... :)
Just take a look!


Hello there! I'm so happy to share with you my second piece with the awesome Art Mediums and other Finnabair products!
It's Riikka here today to share with you an art journal cover I made.


My grandfather just moved to a smaller apartment and while going through his belongings, I discovered numerous pieces that found their way to my mixed media drawer.
One of those little treasures are the scissors on this cover. I also found my late grandmother's old sewing kit and used the old tape measure also on the cover.


Together with the heritage pieces, I used various Mediums and embellished the project with Mechanicals. I layered several pieces of the Mechanicals in the form of a flower. There are many wonderful tutorials on layering the Mechanicals by Finnabair, for example this one.

I also added separate metal pieces here and there and formed a big cluster with all the embellishments.


The first thing  I did was to add some strips of paper to the cover. To adhere those I used Soft Matt Gel. On top I created a resist pattern using a Finnabair stencil and 3D Gloss Gel. To get the metal pieces to stick to the cover and also survive the wear and tear, I used 3D Matt Gel as the adhesive. I also used Clear Gesso, Soft Gloss Gel and two Texture pastes in the creation.
You can see where and how I used them from the video I created. Hope you enjoy!


I wish you all could see the cover in real life as the play of matt and gloss, dull and shiny is quite nice in it. The glossy circles create a great contrast with the gesso-mixed pigments.
Thank you for your visit! I can't wait to start filling this journal with pages! 


Products used in this piece:


Oh, and psssst... keep an eye on my blog tomorrow - my Team and I have something very special for you!!! :)

14 comments:

She Reads Late Into the Night said...

Love how you added pieces that were your grandparents, and how would have thought to put a pair of scissors on a journal cover, absolute genius!

Helen said...

This is wonderful - I love the scissors!!

Dawnll said...

I so love the layering of pieces on this project...I have an entire sewing basket filled with so many great pieces that would work well. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Ella Swan said...

Amazing project & great video!!

Linda M. Cain said...

Yes, yes we do!!! Something VERY special!

~Linda

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you ladies <3

Jeannette v.D. said...

Absolutely love it !! Great texture, Great colours! Love the products you used..

Belinda Basson said...

How very special that these items were your grans. That makes this piece super sentimental and special.

Lisa H said...

I just love this!! It is so beautiful. Plus I'm a sucker for sewing notions in projects.

barbara macaskill said...

LOVE those little scissors and your color palette has me drooling! A rich and vibrant blue against kraft is gorgeous in my opinion! Love all the different textures on this stunning cover! TFS!

Scrap all'Alba - by Silvana said...

a wonderful project, congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful Rikka!

Patricia Howarth said...

This cover has 'blown me away', the colours and textures are beautiful, and the completed project looks so 'ethereal', I absolutely love it !! I also love the fact that you have used some of your Grandparent's belongings, a beautiful 'keepsake'.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...