Monday 15 September 2014

Friends Who Love Art

Hello, Friends!
Let's say a warm welcome to another member of my Creative Team!
I've been a fan of Linda's art for a while now - admiring her endless creativity and positive energy she shares with the world...
And she's a girl after my own heart - altered objects? vintage photos? a sense of humor? Yes, yes and yes! I really had to have her join my Team! :)



Hi, everyone!
I started out as a watercolor artist years ago, but when I found stamp, inks, and altered arts, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!
Vintage photos and found objects get my pulse racing. Three dimensional altered art is probably where I get totally lost in the design, but journaling has become another love I share with this fantastic Creative Team.
My blog header says it all: "There is nothing more fun than having Friends who love ART."

Today, I’m thrilled to be sharing my Altered Clock from Finnabair with all of you.




If you'd like to create your own altered frame - here's my tutorial - hope you'll feel inspired!

I started with the back. Since these are all new products to me, I thought that was a safer place to begin. After removing the back, I painted parts with Heavy White Gesso. Then, I added a swath of Copper CrackleTexture Paste with a palette knife.



(All the new products are explained in great detail on these links to Finnabairs’s blog: Art Basics, Art Ingredients, Art ExtraVagance.)

When the crackle was dry, I used Fresco Paints to add various blues to the white gessoed areas. I also added some Distress Inks in the cracks of the crackle and the edges of the blue paint.

Then I stamped the Fishnet Clear Stamp randomly with black Archival Ink. Heatset.


Finally, I added stenciling with the Prima Flourish stencil using a foam square and black Archival Ink.


Now, onto the outside of the clock, I painted Heavy White Gesso in a splotchy pattern around the clock. Then, I added more Fresco Paints in the turquoise family. When dry, I used a sponge brush to add Copper Crackle Paste blending the edges with the blue paint. Let it dry or use a heat tool.


  
Next, add the Threading stamp around the clock with both black and coffee Archival ink. Don’t put the stamp on a block, just roll it here and there stamping a small portion of the stamp.
 



Using the back of your clock, trace it onto the White Resist Canvas-Scales and cut out. Glue to the back with Soft Matte Gel. Add Distress inks in orange and yellow to the canvas area. Note the “resist” area will not take the color. This is so cool!


Stamp a background using Stamps and Adverts and Adverts with black archival ink.



I added a bit of Heavy Black Gesso to the Large Clockface and the edges of 2 wooden blocks. The blocks will be your base for the picture of the children. Then, I spread some Soft Gel around the circle and sprinkled a bit of Luminousand Ebony and Ivory Glitter into it.


The next step is to put together the collage inside your clock. I used the picture of the children from Found Relatives by Tim Holtz and edged it with a pen. The medium size Bottlecap is filled with Soft Matte Gel and filled with Plum, Licorice and Zinc Glass Beads. These are so gorgeous!!! I used Mini Flowers, a Washer #1, and a Numeral 5 as well that I glued on with 3D MatteGel. This stuff REALLY is great for gluing heavier pieces.



I picked out some Prima flowers and leaves to add to the outside. They seemed to want to be sprinkled with something….so I broke out the Art Sugar! I used a small brush to add some Soft MatteGel and then dipped them into the jar. Shake them off a bit and you’re done!


The outside is decorated with Mechanicals and some small Junkyard Findings and a Lady Bird Butterfly.  I also added a bit of Black Sand Texture Paste just to see how it worked.



Add your collection of little flowers to the front with 3D Matte Gel, tie a tattered and torn piece of black tulle around the top, and you are DONE!


Hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial. I’ll see you back here again next month….big hugs!

Linda

If you feel inspired by today's tutorial and feel like getting to know Linda better, you can visit her blog to see more of her amazing Art, say a friendly hello on facebook or follow her on instagram.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Fab project Linda, love all the distressing you've done on this, would love to give it a go! :)

famillemarleau said...

It's stunning. I love every part of it. Love the textures. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe.

Seth said...

Amazing Linda. I absolutely love the patina you created on the outside of the clock.

Helen said...

Just love this project, Linda, as always your attention to detail is stunning.

Carol and co said...

Just wowwwww ♥♥♥

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks Seth!!! You would LOVE these products...so up your alley!

Art By Wanda said...

Linda is a total sweetheart and a wonderful addition to your team!!!! Linda, your clock is totally fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful project. I just love it.

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning!

Unknown said...

fabulous !thank for the step by step

Rupa Swaminathan said...

Such a beautiful compilation! Love the copper and turquoise combo.

Carmen said...

WOw...it´s great!!

pennylopes54 said...

Always love your 3-D projects Linda. I will have to try the metal crackle....

Chana Malkah said...


Just love this! I will have to give it a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...