Saturday 30 August 2014

Looking over my shoulder - Black Beauty journal pages

Some of you could be wondering - what REALLY happens in the classroom during my workshops? How does it all start? What are all these people doing... and how? Is it hard to follow?
I can't answer all of your questions - but for sure I can help you understand it a bit and  let you look over my shoulder showing the projects I've done during the same workshop - but in different time and place.

Those of you who took my classes know that I create a new sample every time I teach. I take the students for a small creative journey from the beginning, the background of the project, step-by-step to the top, finishing touches and I try to give as many tips as possible.

Some of you may think it can get boring to teach the same class many times... I can tell you -  it isn't! There are ways to keep the process fresh and inspiring - and creating new samples is one of them. New colors, new elements, photos... there is always something "new" and it helps me going - and give students as much as I can in the time of the class.
And now let me add one more thing: I simply love watching my students create. I've learnt so much answering their questions, looking at their color palettes, composition, ideas... it is an endless source of inspiration!

Coming back to the point: looking over my shoulder.
Here are the examples of the page from the same workshop: "Black Beauty Journal".
You can see I was in totally different color moods when I was creating them, right? But on the other hand - there are a lot of similarities, too!




Both of the pages are based on paper collage backgrounds covered with coats of gesso, built with the layering techniques - including a lot of lace, paper and metal embellishments. There's masking tape, thread and buttons... some stamping and some paint.




Of course - colors and finishing touches such as stamping or splashing are totally different, changing the final look of the pages dramatically. But if you have a closer look - you will be able to see the same steps taken... fun, isn't it?

To help you a bit I've got a selection of products used for both pages listed below - are you able to spot them on the spreads?


I hope to see you in my classroom one day. :) We can get messy together, right?
Sending creative vibes


19 comments:

Unknown said...

truly spectacular both of them!

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

I can't wait to take part of this class in Italy next December!!!

corinne de france MARCH said...

Never boring to make the same class several times Finn !
<3

barbara macaskill said...

To attend one of your classes would make me the happiest girl in the world but since my health doesn't allow me to get out much that will never happen unless you would like to come to my home. We can have a real New England breakfast with REAL Maple Syrup, a New England boil for dinner and get creative the rest of the day! I would even send you home with a bunch of REAL maple syrup and candies!! The door is always open if you want to take me up on it! LOL! LOVE your work!

Pam K said...

Your class is amazing and you are a very dynamic teacher .. I would sign up again in a heartbeat and I look forward to many more in the future .. a Finn groupie? Italy in December sounds fabulous .. :)

Helen said...

I long to get to one of your classes!! This spread is just gorgeous.

Annie said...

your classes are amazing Finn and I certainly was inspired. My makes are wonderful treasures/heirloom pieces. TFS and crafty hugs
Annie x

snazzyoriginal said...

Your art is incredibly inspiring and although I was not fortunate enough to take one of your workshops I know from the little I saw of your teaching last year just how enjoyable they were, and how accessible you made your art, enabling all the students to create beautiful pieces whatever their level of previous experience. A huge talent!

finnabair said...

Thank you very much, friends for all your kind words. I feel blessed I have my job - and you make it even more special!

Lynne J said...

love seeing your projects and hope to be able to take a class with you some day!!

CarrieStephenson said...

Love your two pages, different and yet they are similar in their design. Great colours. Would love to take a class with you in person some day. Your classes with Life Book were absolutely fabulous.

Maura said...

Love this comparison of basically doing the same idea with different colors and ways. I like how you create fresh each time.

Anne said...

Stunning work! And I really looking forward to take part in your classes this weekend in Trondheim :-) Have a safe trip, see you soon!
~Anne~

Rachael Mitchell said...

Love these pages and how you teach. Cant wait to see you again later this month for classes in The UK.

Unknown said...

Just I'm starting and I need to learn all, thanks for the opportunity !!!!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Gorgeous layout pages! Love the idea, mixed media and special touches you always do!

barbara macaskill said...

WOW! It is cool to "see" the behind the scenes/into your mind view of classes. Love your work and someday I will take one, even if it is only in my dreams!

Unknown said...

Will you be teaching in the United States or Canada this year or next year? (Please say yes :))
\

agnés said...

Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...