Saturday 23 August 2014

Gesso Art Recipe

Gesso... My best friend...
As a matter of fact, every mixed media artist's best friend... I can't imagine my creative process without it!


This journal spread was created in an old book - I love the concept of using real old family photographs on real vintage substrates with real vintage embellishments.
However, old paper tends to be very fragile and it's often tricky to work on because it easily absorbs water, paints and any other media. That's why I always need to prime it and make it safe to work on. 
Here comes gesso to my aid...


How does it work exactly?
We call gesso a primer which means it is used to create a smooth, non-soaking surface on top of which you can add any medium your heart desires. You can apply it on any kind of surface - canvas, wood, paper, metal, chipoards, fabric, plastic - literally anything!
It also works fantastic when applied through stencils - you can add some interesting textures and patterns to your art. Gesso is so user's friendly - it dries quickly (good for impatient people like me ;) ), it's non-toxic and archival safe.
If you'd like to know more, you can find some information {here} and also learn about some really fantastic effects you can achieve with white, black and clear gesso. :)



To create an interesting project, just gesso is not enough - you need to add a pinch of color... :)
I hope my Art Recipe I present today, will inspire you to experiment!


This journal spread is a combination of layers of old paper, lace, buttons and Mechanicals.
The color comes from a home made tea stain - simply a couple of tea bags left in hot water and then sprayed on the pages through one of my "Elementals" stencils. It's my favorite way to create an interesting looking golden brown color. The other colors come from Primary Elements Pigments mixed with water in spray bottles.

Have a great creative weekend!


18 comments:

Carol and co said...

Wowww Finn your art reciepe is so amazing!!!! I want to cook with you all day!!!

Unknown said...

Never made my own stains before. Thanks for the tip :)
Hope you have a good weekend too xx

SamsHomeCookedDesigns.com said...

Why am I the only person I know who doesn't like Gesso?? I love paint! I love Chalky paint though. Can't wait to do your class. Xx

TangledBlueRose said...

Love the tea stain. As always your art is ever inspiring! Thanks for the inspiration!~kim

Gigi said...

The picture of your Art Recipe is as beautiful as your creation. I'm always looking forward to the next project you post.

agnés said...

It's beautiful.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wow, thats amazing!! love it

Linda M. Cain said...

Gorgeous! TFS!

~Linda

barbara macaskill said...

Definitely going to give the homemade tea stain a try! Love your recipe!! TFS!

corinne de france MARCH said...

j'aime vos recettes ;-)

Unknown said...

Fantastic display, love your recipe!

PocketSize said...

That's a beautiful spread from a great recipe :) I love gesso, it's probably one of the best supplies one can have.

Miae said...

What a fantastic page! You are right, what would I do without gesso?

Carol McCready said...

Fantastic art recipe!

Feng Shui said...

If you use a colorful photo, it will be better.

artisoo

barbara macaskill said...

I am going to have to remember the tea stain tip when I am creating!! How long can it sit without going bad? TFS!

Unknown said...

Beautiful idea and use of an old book. I am swomped with old books, must put some to some "good use". As always thanks for the inspiration :)
Eithne
www.cardroomdelights.blogspot.ie

Granny Rho said...

This is awesome, thank you for sharing! I have a question. ..

I recently aired some large pieces of vintage wallpaper (from old sample book) and would like to use the paper in different ways (book cover paper, envelope liners, additions to mixed media pieces, background paper, etc. ) except it tends to be so fragile! Would clear gesso be good to use to prime that and strengthen it, or would you use something else? Would love to have your input! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...