Monday 29 December 2014

New Year Discoveries

Hello, Dear Friends!
Last Monday in 2014... Let's spend it with Monika and her gorgeous project with an important message...


Hello all!
I was wondering what I could show you as my last work in 2014 and I decided that it will be my calendar for the New Year with the word "Discoveries" that I would like to remember in 2015 and to be my motto every day.

I was inspired by a quote that I found:

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness.
I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art - write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can.
And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."
/Neil Gaiman/


My base was the back side of a stretched canvas that I primed with White Gesso and then used 3D Matte Gel through the bubbles stencil.
To blend in the area where canvas and wooden frame meet, I used three different tapes by Tim Holtz.


I wanted the inside of my shadow box to be as varied as possible so I used all sorts of paper scraps, pages from a vintage book, my favorite texts papers from Vintage Vanity collection and a die cut doily from Prima. I also added some pieces of beautiful lace and covered the whole composition with a thin layer of White Gesso.



In the corners of my canvas I added small Mechanicals rings and Finnabair's Crystal Glass Beads applied with Soft Matte Gel.


I also added some buttons, metal brads and other embellishments like Mechanicals and trinkets by Tim Holtz.


Then, I took Adverts stamp and Black Archival Ink and gently stamped the edges of my piece. I distressed the edges of my calendar with Vintage Photo Ink and stamped Book stamp with Coffee Archival Ink.


To add more to the vintage feel of this piece, I splashed some Earl Grey tea and Distress Inks that I later sprayed with a little bit of water to create some interesting stains.



I wanted this shadow box to be a reminder for me all year long - I'd like to remember that it's always worth trying something new! Not to be afraid and try to reach new creative heights...



So these are my wishes for you for the New Year - "Don't forget to make some art (...) as only you can.!" :)

Hugs,
Monika

Materials from Mixed Media Place:

6 comments:

Linda M. Cain said...

I LOVE it! Fantastic idea, Monika!

~Linda

Unknown said...

Such an awesome inspiration ❤️

Licho_Nie_Spi said...

Stunning idea for calendar!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Monika. What a wonderful way to showcase a simple calendar. Thanks for ending the year so nicely.

Unknown said...

Just one word "beautiful".
May your New Year bring you health and happiness the rest will be a bonus :0)

sara j said...

Fabulous piece - also very inspiring - thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...